How I Study the Bible for Deeper Spiritual Growth


How I Study the Bible for Deeper Spiritual Growth

Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth


Bible study is an important part of my spiritual growth (as it is for any believer). For me, studying the Bible isn't simply about reading a chapter each day and checking it off my list. I want to understand God's Word, study it carefully, and learn how to rightly divide the word of truth.


Today I officially finished studying Romans on my own verse by verse and writing it as a personal Bible study commentary. I began studying Romans years ago in 2017. That's 9 years! Here's how my studying it progressed:


  • Watching a Les Feldick Bible study on Romans, which helped me to more clearly understand the gospel and opened my eyes to rightly divided Bible study. 
  • Reading C.R. Stams commentary on the book of Romans 
  • Watching and taking notes from the Romans 101 video course by Richard Jordan of Grace School of the Bible (when it was on YouTube). 
  • Reading a Romans Bible Study e-book by Deborah Johnson. 
  • Doing over the phone verse by verse Bible studies with Deborah Johnson which took about 3 years or so but I had to take breaks due to illness.
  • Read Romans commentaries by Eric Nuemann and Marianne Manley and occasionally watching other YouTube videos by various grace pastors teaching Romans. 
  • Started teaching Romans verse by verse on my own podcast and YouTube channel (up to chapter 11). I also wrote them out as personal commentaries.
  • Continued studying subsequent chapters on my own,  writing them as personal commentaries. 
  • Taught a few women Romans 1-3 over the phone until I had to stop due to illness. 
  • Finished studying Romans verse by verse Monday August 24th 2026. Although I'm sure I'll come back to it again in the future after I've done the same through the rest of Paul's epistles. 

I've also been studying 1st Corinthians and Galatians recently, and a few years ago had started studying Genesis, Matthew and Revelation but have put those 3 studies from the prophetic program on hold until my health and strength improves. Of course I've read through all of Paul's epistles many times, each year I try to do a Bible in a year reading plsn, have read commentaries on each of those books, watched many Bible study videos on them as well as topical studies etc but as far as my own personal edification process, I've "finished" Romans and am firmly established in the foundational Sound Grace Doctrine taught in Romans. But like all believers, may need to review things again occasionally.



As a Mid-Acts Rightly Dividing Dispensational Grace believer, I especially want to understand the message God revealed through the Apostle Paul for the present dispensation of grace.


One of the things I love about this approach to Bible study is taking the time to slow down and examine Scripture carefully. There are also many Mid-Acts Bible studies available online, including verse-by-verse studies through Romans and other books in the Bible and topical studies on dispensational doctrine.


Here are some of the ways I personally study the Bible for deeper spiritual growth.



1. I Write My Own Verse-by-Verse Commentary

One of my favorite ways to study Scripture is to write my own personal commentary on each verse.

I began with the book of Romans because Romans is foundational doctrine for believers today. Rather than simply reading through the book quickly, I took my time to study it verse by verse and to meditate upon what I was learning. 


As I study each verse, I write my own commentary explaining what I understand the verse to mean.

I consider questions such as:

• What does this verse actually say?

• What is the context?

• Who is being addressed?

• What words stand out to me?

• How does this verse fit with the verses around it?

• What other Scriptures help explain it?

• What doctrinal truth is being presented?

• How does this truth apply to my life?


And other similar questions. 





The important thing is that I am writing my own commentary.

I'm not simply copying another person's explanation. I study the verse myself and then put my understanding into my own words.


Over time, this allows me to build my own personal verse-by-verse commentary through Romans and to continue into Paul's other epistles.

For me, this makes Bible study much more personal and meaningful and gets deeper into my mind and heart. 


2. I Read Commentaries From Other Mid-Acts Grace Believers

After doing my own study, I also like to read commentaries and Bible studies from other believers who share a Mid-Acts Rightly Dividing Dispensational Grace perspective.


This gives me the opportunity to see how other students of Scripture understand a particular passage.


I don't want someone else's commentary to replace my own study. Instead, I can compare what I've written with what others have taught and then go back to Scripture.


This can sometimes raise additional questions that cause me to dig even deeper.


Right division emphasizes understanding Scripture according to its proper context and distinctions rather than taking every passage as though it contains the same instructions for every person and every time period.



3. I Watch Verse-by-Verse Bible Studies and Topical Studies

YouTube can also be a helpful Bible-study resource.


There are Mid-Acts Rightly Dividing Dispensational Grace preachers and teachers who have created verse-by-verse studies through books such as Romans, as well as topical studies dealing with specific doctrinal questions.


I can watch these studies while following along in my own Bible.


I especially enjoy verse-by-verse teaching because it allows me to hear someone work through a passage carefully instead of simply giving a short inspirational message.


Topical studies can also be helpful when I have a particular question I want to explore.


But again, I want the Bible to remain my primary source. I can listen, take notes, think about what I've heard, and then study the Scriptures for myself.



4. I Read Devotionals About Things I'm Struggling With

Bible study doesn't always begin with a doctrinal question.

Sometimes it begins with something I'm experiencing in everyday life.


If I'm struggling with anxiety, discouragement, chronic illness, fear, loneliness, or another difficult circumstance, I may choose to read a devotional centered around that particular topic.


A devotional can help me slow down and turn my attention back toward God's Word.


It can also give me ideas for passages to study more deeply.


I don't want a devotional to replace Scripture, though. I want it to point me back to Scripture.


When something particularly speaks to my situation, I can open my Bible and study the passage for myself.





5. I Meditate Upon Scripture

I also want Bible study to go beyond simply gaining information.

I want to meditate upon Scripture.


After studying a verse, I can sit quietly and think about what I've read.

I may read the verse several times, write about it in my journal, or simply spend some quiet time reflecting on its meaning.


Sometimes I enjoy listening to Scripture with peaceful music in the background. I may also listen to a guided Christian meditation centered on a particular biblical topic.


For me, biblical meditation isn't about emptying my mind or trying to control circumstances through a spiritual technique.

It's about filling my thoughts with God's Word and allowing Scripture to occupy my mind.




6. I Write in a Bible Study Journal

Journaling is another part of my Bible study.

When I study a passage, I can write down my thoughts, questions, observations, cross-references, and personal commentary.


I may write:

The verse

My understanding of the verse

What I learned

Related Scriptures

Questions I still have

How this truth encourages me



This gives me a place to return to later.

As I continue studying, I can look back at what I previously wrote and see how my understanding has developed.




7. I Bible Study With a Friend

Bible study can also be something we do together.

I enjoy the idea of studying Scripture with a friend over the phone (since I don't have a grace church in my area).


We might choose a few verses and discuss them together.

We could study a particular section of a chapter or slowly work our way through an entire chapter.


Eventually, we could even study an entire book of the Bible together.

This doesn't have to be complicated.

We can read the passage, share what we noticed, discuss questions, and encourage one another to keep studying.


Sometimes talking through a passage with another believer can help us notice things we might have overlooked when studying alone.



8. I Keep Scripture in Sight

Another simple way I keep God's Word in my thoughts is by keeping Scripture where I can see it.

I can use:

• Scripture art on my walls

• Bible verse printables

• Scripture cards

• Bookmarks

• Verse cards near my desk

• Bible verses in my journal

• Scripture on my phone

• Encouraging verses in places I spend time



I love the idea of creating a home environment where Scripture is naturally part of my everyday surroundings.

A verse on the wall may only take a few seconds to read, but those few seconds can remind me to stop and think about God's Word.




My Goal Isn't Just to Read the Bible—It's to Understand It, Believe it and Live it Out

For me, deeper Bible study isn't about seeing how many chapters I can finish.

It's about slowing down enough to actually study.

I want to read a verse carefully.

I want to write my own commentary.

I want to compare Scripture with Scripture.

I want to listen to other teachers.

I want to read helpful commentaries.

I want to journal.

I want to meditate upon Scripture.

I want to discuss God's Word with other believers.

And I want to keep Scripture in front of me throughout my day.




Bible study is a lifelong process.

Sometimes one verse may give me enough to think about for an entire day.

Sometimes a difficult passage may send me searching through several other Scriptures.

And sometimes I may write a commentary and later discover that I need to study the passage again.

That's okay.

The goal isn't perfection.

The goal is to keep studying.




A Simple Way to Start

If you would like to begin studying the Bible more deeply, you don't have to create a complicated routine.

Start with one book.

Start with one chapter.

Start with one verse.

Read it.

Study it.

Write your own commentary.

Compare Scripture with Scripture.

Read what other Bible teachers have written.

Listen to a verse-by-verse study.

Journal about what you're learning.

Meditate upon the Scripture.

Talk about it with a friend.

Keep the verse somewhere you can see it.

Then move on to the next verse.

One verse at a time, you can build a deeper and more personal understanding of God's Word.




Growing Through God's Word

For me, spiritual growth isn't about simply accumulating more Bible knowledge.

I want God's Word to become something I continually return to when I'm struggling, when I have questions, when I need encouragement, and when I simply want to know Him and His Word better.

I want to study carefully.

I want to think deeply.

I want to write what I am learning.

And I want to continue growing in my understanding of the Scriptures from a Mid-Acts Rightly Dividing Dispensational Grace perspective.

My journey began with Romans.

One verse at a time.

One commentary at a time.

One day at a time.

And throughout the journey, I want to continue to “Study to shew thyself approved unto God” — 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV.



Bible Study Resources for Getting Started

If you're new to right division or simply want a structured way to strengthen your understanding of foundational Bible truths, I also recommend my Rightly Dividing Basics and Salvation Basics printable study guidebooks.


These printable guidebooks are designed to give you a simple, practical starting point for Bible study.



Rightly Dividing Basics

My Rightly Dividing Basics printable study guidebook is designed to help you understand the basic principles of rightly dividing God's Word.

If you've ever wondered about the differences between God's programs in Scripture, the importance of understanding Paul's ministry, or how to approach the Bible dispensationally, this can be a helpful place to begin.

You can work through the guidebook at your own pace, write notes, look up the Scriptures, and use it alongside your personal Bible study. CLICK HERE TO ORDER 




Salvation Basics

My Salvation Basics printable study guidebook focuses on the foundational message of salvation.

It can be especially helpful for someone who is beginning to study the Gospel of Grace or wants to review the basic truths concerning salvation and what Christ accomplished for us. CLICK HERE TO ORDER 


Rather than simply reading through the material, I encourage you to open your KJV Bible and look up the Scriptures for yourself.

Read the verse. Study the context. Think about what it says. Write down what you learn.

That's the same approach I use in my own Bible study.

These guidebooks can also be used as companion resources as you begin your own verse-by-verse studies.

You can find my Rightly Dividing Basics and Salvation Basics printable study guidebooks in the Grace Living Webstore.



Comments

New ebook!

New Ebook!

New Ebook!
Click image to order

Free eBook

Morning Grace Devotional

Support Grace Living Ministry